Friday, December 5, 2008

I have Committed a Crime

"You have committed a crime." he said, without realizing the hypocrisy in his accusation.

Yes, indeed I have committed a crime, if you consider freedom of thought a crime. You say I have no morality, that someday I'll pay for my sins. Who are you to decide that my beliefs , my actions, are a sin? If I really wanted, I could say the exact same to you, and my arguments would even be more valid than yours, yet still to the world I'll always be wrong. I may not be an average person like everyone around me, no I'm very different, I don't believe in going with the flow, because I know that the flow itself is where the problem lies.

Without doing anything I have become the enemy of the times, I have become that which is given as an example to children to bring fear into their hearts. They say that I am the devil in disguise, out to corrupt the minds of those around me. I am the darkness that makes the night black, the storm that destroys millions of lives, the evil in every heart. What have I done? I have done no more than to actually think.

Rationality is a gift given to few, a virtue to me, but a vice to most. I am a rational being. Is it a sin to be a rational being? Is it a sin to believe in things only after thinking them through? Is i a sin to depart from the societal norms provided I'm not physically or mentally hurting anyone? Is it really a sin only to have a belief, or in my case an absence of one?

The world is burning, this country is burning, why are we letting it? There is no valid reason for taking someone's life, but war is a massacre of thousands, even millions, and there's no law to protect these people who are burning in it. All this bloodshed for an irrational motive, maybe more than one, but each irrational in it's own way.

Yet still you expect me to believe in what you believe in and sell my principles? You still say that I'm the one at fault? You tell me that I should be ashamed of myself, that you're disappointed in me. I don't want to be a martyr, I don't want to be a saint, I only want to live my life, I want everyone to be able to live their lives because to me life is the greatest gift.

You know what I really am? I am the light that gives out warmth, I am the willpower that drives one to learn, I am the earth that nurtures, I am the water that purifies, I am the love that brings people together, I am the wind that touches every soul with life, I am the rational being. I love to play with fire, but you love to burn the world that gave us fire. I admit I have some faults, but you magnify my virtues into crimes.

Yes I am an Atheist and I don't believe in your God. To me there is no God, but there is something much better - the earth and everything in it. If you cannot handle that, then at least don't try to take it away from me, for I have the courage to handle the truth, and I'm proud of it. I have the capabilities to think, to judge true from false, to not get influenced by your irrational ways. Don't force upon me your beliefs for to me my absence of beliefs is the real virtue.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.
~ Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate in physics

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is simply your best enty ever

Anita said...

very well written entry, flow is the problem is a very appropriate way to justify as to why ppl dont accept a different wat of thinking and consider it a crime.

celebrationsoflife said...

Wonderful post! absolutely justified your way of thinking!
-mansi

Anonymous said...

You know what I really am? I am the light that gives out warmth, I am the willpower that drives one to learn, I am the earth that nurtures, I am the water that purifies, I am the love that brings people together, I am the wind that touches every soul with life, I am the rational being.
I am what you call God!
"We have just enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love"--Jonathan Swift.Honestly, I am speechless!
--Anurag Joshi