Saturday, April 4, 2009

Eucalyptus

I hear a whisper in the willows,
The scent of eucalyptus fills the air.
I'm only climbing up the steps right now,
As though you were never really there.

I feel myself flying, touching the treetops.
I can still hear the screaming in my head.
A cold breeze catches me and sends me soaring,
As the earth shrinks into an insignificant thread.

I'm walking by your side now,
As you decide to lead the way.
I can feel the awkward silence,
But I can't make it go away.

I'm too busy looking happy,
Too lost in believing everything's alright.
Then again I hear the screaming,
And this time it gives me quite a fright.

You pretend as if you're happy,
But I can see it in your eyes.
You wish for things to be so different,
Though you believe you're paying back the price.

We're feeding the brown ducks now,
It's no longer something we can hide.
There's this sadness on your face
Which desperately makes me want to cry.

I want to hug you and tell you I admire you,
I want to see you laugh.
But there again I hear the screaming,
And I lose the courage to do anything like that.

We're heading back home now,
I really don't want to go.
I'm terribly afraid of the screaming.
More than that, I don't want to see you low.

As I step through the door of destruction,
I think of the day of which I just had a share,
But there's only one thing that I remember:
I really love the scent of eucalyptus in the air...

I wrote this a couple of years ago, and it has now become one of my favorites.

1 comment:

linusvanpelt said...

a very nice poem! it talks about insecurities that we all face in life. but good times lie ahead.
looking forward to an epilogue to this poem. and koalas eat so much eucalyptus that they smell like it too. beware the koalas!