Thursday, November 8, 2007

Purpose


I often wonder where I'm heading in life. I'm in my third year of college, and I still don't have a clue about what I want to do with my life, nor do I have an idea about what exactly interests me. I've always believed that everyone serves a purpose in some way or the other, but recently I've started having my doubts about this theory. I can't think of a single purpose that I serve, and I can't think of a single talent that I have. Everybody says that at this age one isn't supposed to know where they're heading, but they're suppose to be searching for a reason to live or at least a means to live.

For example, even this spider serves a major purpose in the functioning of the world. It plays an intricate part in the food chain, killing smaller insects, and serving as food for bigger animals. Without it, the balance in the ecosystem would be disturbed, and this can actually lead to drastic effects. This explains why environmentalists are so worried about endangered species.

My life has been really strange, or at least my self perception has been. There have been times when I believe I'm one of the greater beings on earth, and at other times I feel like a nobody. Odd thing is that I've never felt like anything in between, and I also believe that being something in between is worse than being a nobody.

There have been moments in my life when I have known exactly what I want, but have no idea how to get it. At other times, like right now, I don't even vaguely know what I want. I can't say that I get bored, because of which I lose a sense of direction, I'd say I grow up or come to realize I'm chasing an impossible dream. The only constant dream in my life has been that someday I want to write something, anything, for which I will be remembered forever.

I wonder how long it will take for me to find a purpose, or whether I even have a purpose...

11 comments:

Vaishnavi said...

yea. average is not really a good thing, is it?

Anonymous said...

i'll let you in on a little secret...no one has a clue about what to do with life, and especially about what interests them...some find out too late..you already know, so you are ahead of the game. as they say, he who knows not and knows not he knows not and all that.

Anonymous said...

i have a question...what purpose does lice serve... you must be thinking it is one hell of a wierd comment... actually i have heard of this theory too long time back and have conjured up reasons for every living being in general( i have lots of free time as you can guess), mosquitoes, elephants etc ( generally my ans has to do something with the foodchain ) but lice is the only contradiction i can think of. If nobody can understand their purpose( except making people terribly uncomfortable), maybe this theory actually is baseless.

As for yourself, chew on this, maybe one day you had done something to make someone smile, a day when that person was feeling unusually black... it was something small, but it made his/her day look bright n happy again. This theory holds true according to me, but it need not be big stuff all the time, small stuff also goes a long way

Anita said...

hello'
why are u suddenly looking for a purpose in life ? you know everybody might be having a purpose in life but trust me no one exactly knows what is it. so its not only you . anyways its good to read that someone at least is looking for the purpose . and about your wish to write something that would be remembered i think you have written few brilliant pieces already . and as for writing better i am sure you would

celebrationsoflife said...

I relate to the writer, even I very often feel that I have no talents, no purpose and no dreams to chase, I have a similar frame of mind. But now I have turned into a more optimistc person who is convinced that there is a right time for everything, I shall discover my purpose very soon and so will you!

linusvanpelt said...

and why the hell is everyone supposed to have a purpose in life?? like george harrison said- "if you dont know where you're going, any road will take you there".
goodbye,
forever!!!!

Anonymous said...

i m sry for a late comment.......[:(]
so y suddenly u need to hav a purpose in ur life.......i can bet more than half of population do not hav ne......nd who hav dnt know whether tht is their right purpose or not.All u need is to live ur life with keep dng all things u wnt to do ever.

said...

Just want to say ..
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" :)

Anonymous said...

The only constant dream in my life has been that someday I want to write something, anything, for which I will be remembered forever.

if this is really ur dream,my best wishes are with u

u seem to have grown, both in thoughts as well as expression

at this speed,i am quite hopeful u would create a masterpiece later in ur life

Anonymous said...

heh just felt like saying

"Just believe in yourself nd soon life will start believing in u !!"

Monalisa said...

well firstly i have to ask you , should life have some purpose ??? why cant we just exsist , do whats right by us and then die out one day?? why should we go search of any meaning or purpose ??? I mean its only life, if its there its probably there for a good reason and besides i dont really get why we are constantly told to find a deeper meaning and purpose, its like the say "the universe works in mysterious ways" why cant our lives be one of those ways
!!!!